I consider food God, and the stove an altar. So Kathi knew I’d like her following guest blog. An ecstatic mystic takes care of soul and body!
Comfort Food for a Cold Day
By Kathi Somers
On a cold winter’s day, comfort food is what we need. Something hearty and warm to soothe the heart as well as the body.
I’ve adapted an old favorite to make it a little spicy. My family loves it and I hope you and yours enjoy it, too. You can make it healthier by using whole wheat macaroni and lowfat or skim milk.
Kathi’s Spicy Macaroni & Cheese
Oven: 350 Serves 6-8
2-1/4 cups of elbow macaroni
3 cups milk
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
Dash of cayenne
12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound frozen green peas
1 can Ro-Tel (tomatoes and chopped green chilis)
1. Cook 2-1/4 cups of elbow macaroni in boiling water for about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in flour and cayenne until it forms a paste (don’t let it brown).
3. Stir in milk until well blended. Stir and cook until bubbly and slightly thickened.
4. Turn off heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
5. Mix in macaroni and the rest of the ingredients and pour into a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Note: You can make it plainer by leaving out the Ro-Tel and substituting paprika for the cayenne. The peas are also optional.
Copyright 2011 by Kathi Somers. All rights reserved.